Thursday, January 8, 2009

First Outing


Lucas and I made our first outings this week without daddy. The first outing was to my follow up appointment with my doc to make sure my incision was healing correctly. We did well until we arrived in the hospital parking lot. You see, I couldn't figure out how to get the car seat out of the car. I was pushing the wrong button, Lucas was crying, and it was cold out. Luckily, a nice nurse parked next to me and I asked for her help. She said the same thing happened to her when she first brought her son out. I am not sure if that was true or she was trying to make me feel better but either way I appreciate the fact that she didn't make me feel like an incompetent idiot.

Our next outing was to get a free breast pump (exciting, yes?). Because Luke was born 3 weeks early he qualifies as a preemie and my insurance will pay for a breast pump. If you have looked into purchasing one of these, they are expensive. We arrived at the place and, yes, I could unclasp the car seat. The parking lot was a sheet of ice, but we didn't fall. I got the pump and awkwardly carried the car seat w/Luke and a large box with the pump. If you can believe it, there were 2 people who asked if they could help me carry something. I declined figuring I will need to do this on my own but it reminded me that there are some really nice people out there.

No comments: