Monday, August 4, 2008

Lost in Translation

I've worked at a camp with Japanese students for the past 4 years. There is a very sweet, Japanese woman who works as the liaison between the Japanese school and the camp. Her English isn't the greatest but at least she tries. At the beginning of camp last week she kept looking me up and down and then staring at my stomach. Finally she built up enough courage to come and ask me if I was pregnant. Here is the conversation:

Yumiko: Are you ...? (points to my stomach)

Me: Yep, 4 months this week so the baby should be here in January.

Yumiko: Congratulations. I asked someone before and there was no baby. Does your husband still work in the houses?

Me: Um, yeh, he works in houses as a plumber. A plumber fixes pipes so the water can go through the house.

Yumiko: Oh, I see. Is this the same husband you had last year?

Me: (I just smiled and nodded)


Who knows maybe there was something lost in translation.

No comments: