Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Voting is closed!











Thank you for voting for the baby's name and song but voting is now closed. You see, after I finished updating the blog on Sunday the baby decided to make an appearance. Here is the story:
At around midnight on the 21st I starting having "pain" in my stomach. Steve and I both agreed it was probably indigestion or nerves or anything but labor. Over the next few hours those pains kept coming and at regular intervals. I went to bed and then around 3 a.m. those pains started to get worse and my water broke. We finally decided we should go the hospital to check it out even though we were both convinced I couldn't be in labor 3 weeks early.

As Steve shoveled out the driveway, I was practicing the breathing techniques learned in class. We finally got in the car, called the doctor and was off to the hospital (about 30 minutes away). It was 5 a.m. at this point so we could zip right in. We got to the emergency room and walked to the maternity ward where they were expecting me. I got changed, got hooked up to monitors and the nurse asked me to rate the pain. I told the nurse on a scale of 1 to 10 it was probably a 7 or 8. She gave me this look like "Sure, lady you are probably 2 cm dilated and are just a wuss." After her examination she discovered I was 8 to 9 cm dilated! She said if the baby had turned I would have had a great delivery but, the baby hadn't turned yet so they needed to get the team ready for a c-section.
There were at least 3 people working on me at all times. I was signing papers, getting needles, getting anesthesia and at the same time having contractions (not too enjoyable). By the way, it took 3 nurses to get my belly button ring out. They actually had to cut it off because no one could figure out how to remove it!

Anyway, at 6:33 a.m. Lucas Carter Shahnamain was born. He is beautiful (but I am a little biased). He weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces and is 18 inches long. Lucas will celebrate his birthday 2 days before mine -another baby who didn't want to miss out on one more Christmas! More pictures to come later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and he is a sweet baby. Enjoy the holidays! This is the most precious gift of all!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I cannot wait to meet the little bugger tomorrow and give him all of his Christmas gifts!

Susan Chien said...

I can't wait to meet him. I love the name and I love the baby. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! How exciting! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Got the news from Sandra. Congratulations to parents and grandparents on the new addition to the family.

What a wonderful Christmas present.... Best wishes to all for Good Health & Much Happiness.
Love, Martha-Anne & Leo 12.26.08

Jim and Claire said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so jealous!!! Every morning I get up and remind the baby that any time is fine with me! Hooray! I'm so happy for you guys! xoxo

Jim and Claire said...

By the way, this is the FOURTH Lucas I have met (well, second Lucas and the other two are variations on Lucas--Luca and Luke). Popular name! He's so cute, Tracy!